PlayStation 4 is one of the most popular gaming consoles. It provides a fantastic gaming experience, and the user gets access to various exclusive games. To play games on the PS4, we use a controller, also known as the “Dualshock 4”. We can connect the controller to the PS4 console through cable or Bluetooth.
The PS4 controller has lights that have various functions. These lights indicate whether your controller is connected or not, which player in the game you are controlling, in which mode your controller is, and many more. Due to the various functionalities of the light, users get confused when their PS4 controller flashes orange light. If you are one such user, you will learn the meaning of the orange light and how to fix it in this article.
Why is My PS4 Controller Flashing Orange Light?
Orange light on PS4 controller is not a common problem. If you are getting an orange light on your PS4 controller, you don’t need to worry. There can only be two reasons for this:
- The PS4 controller is in “Rest” mode.
- There is a problem with connecting your PS4 controller to the console.
Other colors on the PS4 controller indicate the order in which controllers are connected; for example, the Blue light is for Player 1, the Red light for Player 2, the Green light for Player 3, and the Pink for Player 4, depending on the order in which controllers are connected.
The PS4 controller also flashes certain lights according to different game features; for example, if you are playing GTA IV, and in the game, if the police are after you, Then the PS4 controller will flash a red light.
How to Fix PS4 Controller Orange Light
You do not need a professional to fix the orange light on PS4 controller. You can fix it on your own. To fix the PS4 controller orange light, follow the solutions given below. But before trying any solution, try to find out the cause first. This will save you time and effort.
1. Check the USB Cable & Port
The first thing that must be done when the PS4 controller flashes an orange light is to check the USB cable and port. You have to dismantle your PS4 controller to find the cause of the orange light.
- After dismantling the controller, check whether the controller buttons are working properly.
- After this, you should clean the dirt from the inside of the controller.
- Plugin the PS4 controller with another USB charging cable; if the light turns blue or white, the older cable is defective.
- After checking the ports and batteries of your PS4 controller, if you don’t find any issues, then the problem is with your conductive film. Try replacing it.
2. Remove PS4 Controller from Other Connected Devices
You can solve the Orange light PS4 issue by disconnecting your PS4 controller and pairing it again. To do this, PS4 Remote Play is the best application that can assist you, as you cannot use your controller to do so. iOS users can download this application from the App Store, and Android users can download this application from the Play Store.
- Sign in to your Play Station account after the application is installed. While doing so, make sure you use the same account used on the console.
- Press “Start” and wait for it to connect to the console.
- Now by using the touch D-pad and navigating to settings, select Devices. Here you will see the “Bluetooth Devices” option. Click on it. From there, select your Dualshock controller.
- Now press the PS and share Share buttons on your controller and hold them for a few seconds. Now a blue light will flash on your controller.
- Now pair the controller again with your console and enjoy using it.
3. Press the PS Button Repeatedly
Another way to fix the PS4 Controller Orange light issue is to press the PS button repeatedly. To do this:
- Completely turn off your PS4 console.
- Now, using the charging cable, connect your Dualshock controller to the console.
- After this, turn on your PS4. After waiting for some time, you will see an option to “Press the PS button to use the controller.”
- Now, turn off your PS4 console again by holding the power button on the console till the second beep.
- Power on your PS4 console again. Unplug your controller from the micro USB port when you see the option “Press the PS button to use the controller.”
- Start hitting the PS button repeatedly as soon as you connect the cable to the DS4 controller again. The controller should now start flashing blue light and then stay solid blue.
4. Reset PS4 Controller
Another way to fix this problem is to reset your PS4 controller. By doing this, you can solve any software problem in your controller. To reset your controller, follow the steps given below:
- On the back of your PS4 controller, look for a reset button near the L2 shoulder button.
- You can also use a sim card tray ejector pin to press the button. Hold the button for a few seconds before you release it.
- As soon as the PlayStation 4 has been reset, connect a USB charging cord to your PS4 controller.
- Activate the controller by pressing the PlayStation button on the controller.
5. Turn on PS4 in Safe Mode
Another solution to the orange light issue is to turn on the PS4 safe mode. To turn on the safe mode, follow the steps given below:
Power off your PS4 console.
- Press and hold the power button for a second until you hear the second beep.
- Now, using a USB charging cable, connect your controller to your console.
- Now on your Dualshock controller, you have a Playstation button. Press it.
- After ensuring the proper connection of the controller to the PS4 console, using the X button, select “Restart PS4”.
Note: If your PS4 USB ports are not working, then do not open safe mode.
6. Reset PS4 Console
If there is any software bug in your console, it could be the reason for the orange light on PS4 controller. In such a case, you can reset your PS4 console. It can solve this problem. To reset your console, follow the steps given below:
- Power off your PS4 console completely.
- To ensure this, remove the power cord from your console and reconnect it after 5 minutes.
- Press and hold the power button on the console until you hear a second beep sound.
- Now connect your PS4 controller to the console using a USB charging cable.
- Now using the X button, select “Initialize PS4”.
Note: If you reset your console, all your data and games installed will be deleted permanently from it. Therefore, it is important to create a backup for the data.
The orange light on PS4 controller is a normal issue that can occur to anyone. You can solve it on your own if you know the cause of it. The solutions to this problem mentioned above are very simple and can be done effortlessly.