We all love to play games on our PC. The gaming experience is enhanced when we can use a controller to play our favorite games. There are various amazing controllers that we can use. One such amazing controller is the Gamecube controller by Nintendo. This controller is generally used with the GameCube home video game console. This controller was produced after the Nintendo 64 controller.
The Gamecube controller provides many advanced features that you will enjoy using. Now, many users have doubts about how to use Gamecube controller on PC. If you are one of those users, then this article is for you.
How To Connect Gamecube Controller To PC?
There are various ways to connect the Gamecube controller to a PC. To connect your controller to your PC, you will need a controller adapter. The Gamecube controller has a USB cable, but you cannot directly use it to connect the controller to your PC. You can connect a Gamecube controller to a PC in two following ways given below.
1. Connect Gamecube Controller To PC Using PC adapter
To use Gamecube controller on your PC using a PC adapter, follow the steps given below:
Step 1. Find a compatible GameCube to PC adapter
You will need a Gamecube controller to PC adapter in order to connect the controller to your PC. If you look closely, you’ll find that the interface of the GameCube controller is exclusive, and there are no slots on your PC to connect the controller. (Don’t even try it if you think you see one). A Gamecube controller is necessary to connect it to a PC. You can not connect it without it. On the internet, you can find some adapters for the Nintendo Gamecube controller.
Some new versions are also available which are compatible with the Nintendo switch. If you just want to connect your Gamecube controller to your PC and not to the console, then you can use the older adapters. These adapters are cheap because they are older versions, but they work with both Wii U and PC. But if using the controller with the Switch is what you want, then you should go for a newer version. The newer versions of the adapter are a little expensive.
Step 2. Setup the GameCube to PC adapter
After getting the adapter according to your usage, the next step is to set up the Gamecube controller to PC adapter. To set up the controller, you have to first connect the controller to the adapter. For this, first, you have to connect the USB adapter to a free USB port on your PC. The drivers will be installed automatically. Now to connect the controller, just plug the GameCube controller into one of the adapter’s ports.
Generally, in most adapters, Port 1 is designated as the left port, and Port 2 is for the right port. This information is necessary when you configure the controller in an emulator. Therefore, remember the port in which you are connecting the Gamecube controller.
Step 3. Configure GameCube controller in the OS
The first thing you need to make sure of before using your controller as an emulator is that your computer should recognize the controller. For this, in your operating system, open the controller settings and search for Gamecube controller. Most likely, it would be called after the adapter you’re currently using. An emulator like Dolphin can be used to configure the adapter once it has been verified that it is recognized as a controller.
Step 4. Connect the GameCube Controller to Dolphin
After finishing the above steps, you can configure your controller with any emulator of your choice. We recommend the Dolphin emulator as it can meet all your emulator requirements. The system requirements for downloading Dolphin include 64-bit Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 or higher, macOS 10.10 Yosemite or higher, and Linux OS. If you meet these requirements, just download and install the Dolphin Emulator on your PC.
The GameCube controller and PC adapter settings can be done once you have successfully installed Dolphin. You can find the controller settings under the device list. Even if you are not using the Dolphin emulator, you will find the settings here only. The GameCube input is converted into what the PC recognizes as a USB controller using these adapters.
Note:- You need to install a third-party driver called Zadig if your adapter is not working with the Dolphin emulator.
Connect Gamecube Controller To PC Using x360ce
Many users want to know how to use the Gamecube controller on steam. The answer to this question is x360ce. To use the Gamecube controller on PC using x360ce, follow the steps given below:
Step 1. Install vJoy Device Driver
First, you have to download the latest version of the Wii U GCN USB Driver for your system. To download the driver, you can visit Massive’s GameCube Controller Adapter Blog. After downloading, you need to install the driver. To install the driver properly, follow the steps given below:
- Open the setup file by left-clicking on it.
- Now an installation window will appear. Click “Next” on it.
- Now a new window will appear, where you have to select the installation folder.
- In the next window, you have to select the shortcut preference.
- If you want a shortcut on the desktop, select the Check Box.
- After this, you will see an “Install” button in place of the “Next” button. Click on it to stall.
- After a brief installation, the program will appear on your desktop.
- The WUP-028 should be selected in the dropdown box instead of “GAMING MOUSE G402” at this time.
- Click the “Replace Driver” button after selecting “WUP-028” in the drop-down box.
- After following the instructions, you should receive the message “The driver was installed successfully.”
To install vJoy,
- Once the window has been closed, the vJoy Device Driver Installation Prompt will come on the screen. Click “Next” to continue.
- Now click “Next” after you have checked all the boxes.
- Now click on “Install.”
- A Window Security Prompt may appear from time to time. Again, click “Install” if this is the case.
- After this, you will again get a message saying “vJoy Installed Successfully.”
After completing step 1,
- Download and install the latest version of the Microsoft.NET Framework from the Microsoft website.
- Restart your PC after installation to ensure that the software is fully recognized by the operating system.
Also Read: How To Use Joy-Cons On PC As One Controller
Step 2. Install x360ce
Here we will use the X360ce GameCube Configuration to make your adapter and controllers recognized as Xbox 360 Gamepads.
To install x360ce, start by visiting x360ce.com. There you will see 32-bit and 64-bit game download links. Download and save both files in different folders. In the next step, in different folders, unzip both the files. After this, install both files. The installation process for both versions will be the same. Here we will see how to install the 32-bit version:
- Click on the setup file for the 32-bit version. After clicking on it, you will receive a warning message.
- All you have to do here is to click on “Create.” After this, all the necessary files will be generated automatically, and the warning message will be gone.
- Once the program identifies your controller, a new window will appear. Here you can change its configuration.
- In this new window, you will see a check box option “Search the internet.” Select the check box for it.
- By doing this, all the necessary drivers required will be installed automatically from the internet.
- A new “New Device Detected” window will appear after clicking on Finish. All you have to do here is to press Next and Finish. You have to do this process usually four times.
- After this, a new window will appear with all the configuration settings. In this window, you will see four green-colored squares.
- These squares mean that the x360ce has recognized your adapter.
Step 3. Enable GameCube Driver
For this, you have to open the Wii U GCN adapter by keeping the x360ce window open.
- To open the Wii U GCN adapter, press the window key and open a search for the adapter in the search bar.
- After this, you will see a new window with various options along with the “Start” option. Click on it.
- After this, you will see a notification on your screen.
- Now go to the x360ce screen. On the “Controller 1” tab, you will see Xbox 360 controller buttons once you press the Gamecube controller keys.
- If you have connected your Gamecube controller to Port 1, then you will see these options under the “Controller 1” tab.
- Now just change the settings according to your preferences.
- Change the Anti-Dead Zone settings on each controller (from 1 to 4) to 80 percent and the Dead Zone settings to 30 percent by going to the “Left thumb” tab.
- Your controller will now behave exactly like it would on Wii U or Nintendo.
Now for the 64-bit version, repeat the same steps.
How to use Gamecube Controller on Steam
Many users want to know how to use Gamecube controller on Steam? To use your controller on Steam, just follow the steps given below:
- We must place the x360ce files in the game folder in order to use the GameCube controller on our PC.
- Copy the three files you see in the x360ce folder (you can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit version).
- Paste it into the Steam game folder by following these instructions: Local Disc (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common > “Game Name”.
- To avoid a warning message, replace the three files you pasted with the corresponding 64-bit x360ce versions and vice-versa in the game folder.
You can use your Gamecube controller on PC in two ways, mentioned above. You can easily perform the steps as the steps are very simple. You can also use the Gamecube controller on Steam. Just follow the steps mentioned above.